Monday 21 February 2011

A Week of Gigs and Wonderfulness!

So I have had a very hectic week! On Wednesday I went to see the lovely Russell Howard, on Friday I went to see My Chemical Romance and on Saturday I went to see Ocean Colour Scene. Those of you who know me well will know that the My Chemical Romance gig was the one I was most looking forward to but I thought I'd give you my opinions!

Russell Howard was absolutely hilarious. I don't know what to say. One of the things I love about him is that he just comes on and he's in his T Shirt and jeans and it's just him. There's none of the flamboyance and glitter like comedians such as Noel Fielding and Russell Brand (don't think I'm being hypocritical though.. I love the flamboyance!). Anyway I fully recommend going to see this guy. I'm not going to tell you any of the jokes because I don't want to ruin it for anyone else who is going but it was a top evening!

I'm going to do it in the wrong order and talk about Ocean Colour Scene next because I have a feeling I will ramble on for hours about My Chemical Romance! I bought the tickets for this for a present for my big brother, he introduced me to them years ago with the album Mosely Shoals. The first half of this gig was that album in its entirety and it was really good. I knew all the words and had a good sing song! The second half was their "hits" I suppose but I didn't know any of them. It was still really good though and encouraged me to go home and listen to some more of their stuff. It was also a bit more mellow and relaxed than the previous night which I am about to tell you about!

The thing you need to know about me is that I have always been an emo deep down! Green Day and My Chemical Romance have been my favourite bands since I was about 15. I saw Green Day last year and so I was extremely excited to see these guys! I bought the ticket for my younger brother for his birthday (I know, I buy my siblings awesome birthday presents right?) and of course I went with him. They were supported by Lost Alone who I was not hugely impressed with but I did like a few of their songs. They seemed like quite a small band who weren't used to playing such big arenas. The Blackout were next and they were fabulous. I knew a few of their songs already just from watching Kerrang a lot but I would never have bought a ticket to one of their shows. Anyway, I was wrong because they were really good. One of my friends has kindly lent me one of their albums so it will be going on my ipod! I really love how you can go to a gig and see a support act that blow you away. It happened at Green Day when I fell in love with Frank Turner and now I've found another band that I love! Anyway.. back on topic:

It actually started with "Look Alive Sunshine" which is the starting track on their newest album, Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys. It ends with the line "Killjoys, make some noise!" and then they launched into Na Na Na. This was the start of a couple of hours of dancing, jumping around, singing and shouting at the top of my voice. I was in my element. Personal highlights included Welcome To The Black Parade which I think was the equivalent of Jesus of Suburbia at Green Day. When Green Day launched into Jesus of Suburbia last year we all shouted along with our fists in the air and meant every word. For me Welcome To The Black Parade was the same and the atmosphere was amazing. Another highlight for me was The Ghost of You which was amazing. He told everyone to light up and the effect was beautiful:
The atmosphere again was amazing as we all swayed and sung. A nice rest from the jumping around I can tell you! They finished on Cancer and at this point all the lights went off and it was just Gerard Way and his voice. It was really beautiful and fitted the song perfectly.

The encore was my favourite song on the latest album, Bulletproof Heart. As you can imagine, I was made up! I never wanted it to end and while it probably didn't beat Green Day's gig, it was a close second! I had real trouble picking out my favourite moments from it because the whole night was amazing. I'm going to have an equally hard time picking a photo to end on because I took so many but I think this one will do.

Billiesue

No comments:

Post a Comment